Sunday, February 19, 2012

"...OF CABBAGES AND KINGS..."



Writing a blog can be hazardous at times. It seems that there are those out there in 'internet land' who are simply waiting for someone to express their opinion on a topic so that they can pounce on it and deride, mock, ridicule, and cast scorn in a piously condescending way as if those they oppose
are intellectually retarded in some way. (And, let's face it - sometimes they are.) It happens to everyone who blogs and I'm no exception.

Having a blog requires having something to write about. Sometimes it requires needing something to write about when ideas are thin on the ground. If there's a space, it has to be filled. Believe it or not, this site gets visited many thousands of times every month by people looking for something to read and I don't like to disappoint them. I discuss mainly comics and collectables,
although sometimes also indulge in personal reminiscences and social comment. Even then, however, I try to include some kind of reference to comics, tenuous as it may be.

Sometimes I revisit a topic because there's something more I want to say on the matter, or I think it might be of interest to someone, or I simply can't think of anything else to comment upon. Due to the intended scope of this blog, I'm somewhat restricted by certain 'parameters' and don't like to stray too far beyond them. That sometimes necessitates a certain amount of repetition of subject matter, but I take the view that not everyone will have read my previous posts and therefore some topics can bear another outing. Just like comics, every post is someone's first.

I must confess, therefore, that I find it irksome when I hear of certain people accusing me of having an 'agenda' or an 'obsession'. As it happens, I do have an agenda - but it's merely to inform and to entertain and, yes - perhaps sometimes even to educate - in some small way on various details. The 'agenda' I'm accused of, however, is ascribed to me by one particular person in an attempt to cast doubt on my motives for commenting, and to diminish my opinion on things of which I actually know quite a lot about from many years of personal experience. (Fifteen of which were in a professional capacity)

His issues with me spring mainly from having an opposing view to my own
in regard to one particular topic. (Regular readers will doubtless know to what I refer.) Others share his perspective of course, but tend to be far less 'enthused' about it than he is. Lest anyone should think I'm developing
a persecution complex, far from it. I'm well aware that my 'detractors' consist of (at most) a handful of people with a vested interest in shouting me down and undermining my credibility. I find such efforts amusing for the most part, but they can also be irritating on occasion when they resort to distortion and misrepresentation in pursuit of their aims.

It is, in equal measure, both hilarious and annoying to see one particular person describe his dismissive comments, sly innuendo, attribution of false motives, thinly-veiled insults, patronising attitude, condescending manner, and supercilious remarks over the course of many months as being a 'restrained and mature' reaction. This from someone who seems to see me lurking behind every anonymous comment on his blog that disagrees with him on any matter. Now, there's obsession for you.

Sad thing is, he doesn't seem to realise that, if he didn't indulge in this sort of thing, I wouldn't be boring the pants off everyone by having to address his 'mature and restrained' fantasies. 

So, let's be clear. On this blog, any thoughts or theories I opine on comics (any comic) spring from my lifelong love of, interest in, and devotion to
them - not from the figment of someone else's imagination or delusion, who, it seems to me, is guilty of pursuing his own personal agenda when it comes to anyone expressing a point of view at odds with his own.

'Nuff said! (Hopefully.)      

No comments:

Post a Comment